School Tours and Student Shadowing
Prospective families for the Upper School (grades 9-12) and Middle School (grades 6 & 7) are invited to visit our campus in one of two ways: family tours and/or student shadowing.
Prospective families for the Middle School will be able to tour our new Middle School building upon completion in the winter of 2021. In the meantime, prospective families may tour our Upper School campus, where sixth and seventh grade classes are currently offered.
Please call our Admissions Office at 919-576-7064 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule. Please plan to schedule your family tour or student shadowing at least two weeks in advance.
During the school year or during summer months, families may request to visit STMA by scheduling a family tour. Family tours are scheduled between the hours of 8:30AM to 1:30PM during the school year or by appointment at various hours during the summer months.
Student Shadowing/Parent Tours
Student shadowing for the 2022-2023 academic year will begin September 1, 2021. Prospective students are welcome to “shadow” during our first four periods of the school day throughout the school year. Shadowing is typically scheduled on Wednesdays or Fridays from 8am until 12:30pm.
Parent tours are available from 8:30am-9:30am or 12:30pm-1:30pm on the day your student shadows. If parents are interested in touring the campus during one of these time frames, please request this when you are scheduling your student's shadow date.
- Visiting Student Information Form - After your student's shadow date has been confirmed, the Admissions Office will email this form to you for completion.
- Arrival - Please park in the front parking lot and check your student in at the front desk by 7:45am.
- Pick-Up - Middle school student shadows should be picked up at Noon; Upper School student shadows should be picked up at 12:30pm. Please report to the front desk for pick up.
- Cancellations/Reschedules - If school is delayed or canceled due to inclement weather, we will inform you. Of course, if we are not closed, but you feel it prudent to cancel your visit due to weather conditions, please do so. If you need to cancel/reschedule your visit due to any other reason, please contact the Admissions Office. Please reschedule if anyone in your household is demonstrating cold or flu-like symptoms!
- How should I dress? The STMA informal uniform consists of skirts or pants and a polo shirt for young ladies; and black or charcoal pants and a polo shirt for young men. Any similar attire is acceptable. Clothing should not be tight-fitting, revealing, or above the knee if wearing skirts/dresses. You may want to bring a sweater/fleece because our classrooms can be quite cool!
- What should I bring? Visitors only need to bring a notebook and a pen or pencil. Middle School visitors should bring a light lunch or a snack, as they will attend the first part of the lunch period.
- What should be left at home? Personal cell phones or other electronics are not allowed in the classroom. If you bring your phone, you will be asked to leave it at the front desk, turned off.
- What is the schedule during my shadow day?
- Check-in at the front desk by 7:45am & meet your assigned student ambassador;
- Report to the first-period class (8am) with your assigned student ambassador;
- Upper School Student Shadows - We have chosen 9th classes for you to attend that will allow you to experience some of our most unique classes with some of our most tenured instructors during the first four periods of the school day. Your assigned student ambassador will act as your "tour guide" for the day. He or she, though not necessarily attending the classes you shadow, will escort you to and from each class.
- Middle School Student Shadows - You will track with the appropriate grade level class for the first four periods.
- During your shadowing experience, you will have an interview with our Admissions Office.
- Parent pick up is at Noon for Middle School students or at 12:30pm for Upper School students (unless otherwise arranged with the Admissions Office).
Tips for a Successful Shadow Day:
Introduce yourself to our teachers and students. They will likely reach out to you first, but just in case they don't, make sure you say hello.
Try to relax and have fun! It's never easy to be a visitor in a new school, but you'll find that our faculty and students are very welcoming and look forward to helping you experience how unique STMA really is! Your education should be enjoyable and enlightening!
Please feel free to participate in classes and ASK QUESTIONS! Try not to be intimidated by the classes you attend. We don't expect you to know all the answers...yet!