Are all applicants required to take the admissions test?
- Grades 6, 7, & 8
- Grades 9 & 10
Junior/Senior (grades 11 & 12) transfers are required to submit PSAT (or similar) scores. If these are not available, the ISEE test must be taken.
Why does STMA require applicants to take the ISEE?
- Many private schools in our area and many more college preparatory schools throughout the nation use this test for evaluative purposes.
- The ISEE is an excellent benchmark tool to evaluate applicants entering the Middle School and Upper School, as students from all over the Raleigh area (and beyond) apply to our school.
- The ISEE is an excellent tool for any college preparatory school, as the results are often very similar to those the student receives after taking the PSAT in the first preparatory year of the Upper School.
- The ISEE gives the school and parents a good sense of where the student is on a trajectory towards taking the SAT at STMA in the third and fourth years of high school preparation.
How do I register my student for the ISEE?
Parents may register students for the ISEE in one of two ways:
1. On-line at the ISEE registration web page - please see instructions for on-line registration at the bottom of this page;
2. By phone at (919) 956-8524 or 800-446-0320
Tips for registration
- Register early for the test - register a minimum of three weeks in advance or incur a fee for late registration one to two weeks before the exam. Phone registration costs an additional $25.
- Take advantage of the ERB preparation resources that will be sent to you after registration. More information regarding ISEE prep can be found here.
- Register as a walk-in if the registration deadline has passed for a specific date listed below.
- Parents must request a walk-in code, space permitting. Please call the Admissions Office to obtain this code.
- Please note that registering for the exam with a walk-in code is more costly.
- Students will not be allowed to take the exam as a walk-in without the necessary code.
- Please ensure that STMA is chosen as a score recipient by entering our ERB number (344656) in the "Member Code" box during registration. The Admissions Office will receive an applicant's ISEE scores within 72 hours (often between 24 and 48 hours) of the exam.
Is there a cost to register for the ISEE?
Yes, registration cost depends on the type of testing option chosen. ERB offers three testing options:
- Testing on the STMA campus - $140 (see test dates below)
- Testing at a Prometric Testing Center - $200 (on-line or paper testing available, depending on location)
- At-home testing - $200 (on-line testing only)
When should my student take the ISEE to be considered for admission?
- In order to be included in the Early Admissions (first round) decision letters, the ISEE must be taken by December 11, 2021.
- In order to be included in the Winter Admissions (second round) decision letters, the ISEE must be taken by March 12, 2022.
- Students who take the ISEE after March 2022 will be considered as space is available.
Does it matter where my student takes the ISEE?
No, applicants may take the ISEE in any of the ways noted above. However, for your convenience, the ISEE is offered on our campus on multiple dates throughout the school year. This is a great way for applicants to visit our campus for either the first or second time. It also allows applicants contact with other prospective students, as well as the admissions staff.
The test dates available during the 2021-2022 academic year are as follows:
October 2, 2021 - Event Code: A7GSPXNY
November 6, 2021 - Event Code: 2978AGFX
December 11, 2021 - Event Code: U68MULV6
February 12, 2022 - Event Code: WACA3VRG
March 12, 2022 - Event Code: MK5TXPKG
***The exams listed above may only be found and registered for by phone or on the ERB website by using the Event Code listed beside each date.***
Are there other details I need to know to register my student?
Please visit the Independent School Entrance Examination (ISEE) website to register and to find out more information regarding fees and deadlines. Follow these registration instructions once on the site:
1. Create a Parent account;
2. Watch the video "How to Register for the ISEE";
3. Click "Add Student";
4. Enter student's information;
5. Click the green tab titled "Search and Register" to see available test dates and testing sites;
6. Enter information in the box titled "Registration Data" and click the green "Next" tab;
7. A testing date/site can be found one of two ways:
A. To register for an exam on our campus (dates listed above), enter the Event Code in the box to the right of the page for the specific date (please see the event codes listed above);
B. To chose a different date/site, in the box on the left of the page, simply chose Raleigh/Durham area (or other area if not local) in the "Consortium" box to search for available dates and testing sites;
8. Choose a test date/testing site from the provided list and click the green "Register" tab; follow the remaining steps to complete registration and pay the registration fee.
For troubleshooting, please visit the ERB FAQ page here.
Please contact the Admissions Office by phone at 919-576-7064 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.